Tuesday 23 February 2010

'Minority' sports get their moment to shine

There's no doubt that the Olympics gives a whole range of sports the chance to shine when they would normally struggle to break through into the mainstream media.

And the snowboarding and freestyle ski events are making the most of their moment in the Vancouver sun, winning over a whole new legion of fans. It's clear, though, that they're wise enough to know how to play the media game, and so it is that they are making sure they're available, visible and making the most of the their chance.

Team USA, despite running away with the overall medals standings, have still made sure they're open and helpful, taking time out to speak to journalists, and snowboarder Michelle Gorgone, from Boston, told me: "I'm a snowboard racer so let's face it, I only ever really get the chance to do a big press conference once every four year.

                 Team USA snowboarder Michelle Gorgone. Picture: Martin Boyle

"The Olympics give us the chance to get our sport out there and to raise the profile. We're all part of that. I was in Torino too, though, so I guess I'm starting to know what to expect."

And veteran snowboarder Chris Kline, 37, who has been with Team USA since the early days of the sport, said: "The Olympics is a really big thing for us and for the sport. We know exactly what it brings to snowboarding.

"I was part of the first ever Olympic snowboarding team back in '98 and that was a pretty awesome experience. I don't know what the future holds for boarding at the Games but we're just stoked to be here and be competing."

Continuing my snowboarder hunt, this time with Michelle Gorgone of USA

No comments:

Post a Comment